US doctor will travel to UK to assess Charlie Gard, the terminally ill baby that was sentenced to death by EU court

An American doctor will travel to the UK to examine Charlie Gard, the terminally ill baby whose parents are fighting in court to keep alive.

The parents of Charlie Gard have raised more than $1.6 million to take their son to the United States for an experimental treatment. Great Ormond Street Hospital, where Charlie is being treated, has intended to turn off his life support as multiple courts have ruled that prolonging the baby’s life would only cause him greater pain.
But the hospital applied for a fresh hearing last week because of “new evidence relating to the potential treatment for his condition” presented by researchers at the Vatican’s children’s hospital and another medical facility outside of Britain.
Chris Gard and Connie Yates, Charlie’s parents, have been allowed to present new evidence to prove their son should receive experimental treatment. And Dr. Michio Hirano of Columbia University will be allowed to examine Charlie to determine if he would be eligible for such treatment.
Hirano’s research focuses on mitochondrial diseases and genetic myopathies. He has treated other people with similar conditions to that of Charlie’s.
High Court Judge Nicholas Francis said that he would be “open-minded about the evidence” Hirano will submit to him.
“There is not a person alive who would not want to save Charlie,” Francis has said. “If there is new evidence I will hear it.”
Charlie’s case has drawn worldwide attention from religious leaders, celebrities and President Donald Trump. A hospital in New York City has also offered to “admit and evaluate” Charlie.
Read on to find out more about Charlie Gard and the case that’s gone international.
Who is Charlie Gard?
At 11 months old, Charlie Gard suffers from the rare genetic condition Mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome. He has brain damage and is unable to breathe on his own.
Charlie was born on Aug. 4, 2016, according to a GoFundMe account set up by his mother. While he was healthy at birth, Charlie soon took a turn for the worse.
“We took him into [the] hospital at 8 weeks old and none of us have been anywhere near home since,” Yates wrote.


No comments

Please drop your comments below:

Copyright Powered by Blogger.